Sean P. Kelley, is an 8th Degree Black Belt in Ed Parker’s American Kenpo Karate System and is the President of the Chinese Karate Federation (CKF). He is an internationally recognized Martial Arts Instructor, having taught in the United States, Chile, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and Canada.
Sean Kelley has been major educational force in the community through numerous programs at local pre-schools, elementary schools, local colleges, and recreation centers. Sean Kelley’s purpose is to foster self-confidence, encourage self-discipline, discourage violence, and increase public awareness of personal safety.
Sean Kelley began his martial arts training in Moo Duk Kwan in 1975 under Francisco Conde, earning his Black Belt in 1983. However, when he met Grandmaster Ed Parker in 1978, Mr. Kelley developed an appreciation and respect for the art of American Kenpo. When he moved to Florida in 1983, Sean Kelley began serious training in Mr. Parker’s art, opening his own Kenpo school in 1985. During this time, he organized and hosted seminars featuring instructors such as Ed Parker, Bill Wallace, Joe Lewis, Jeff Speakman and Billy Blanks. Presently, Mr. Kelley trains under Grandmaster Michael Robert Pick.
In 1992, Sean Kelley became a student of Parker Kenpo Instructor, Lee Wedlake, Jr. of Fort Myers, Florida. Mr. Kelley and Mr. Wedlake have collaborated in promoting the Florida Kenpo Camp three-day seminars held yearly at Kelley Karate Center. Guest instructors have included such outstanding Kenpoists as Michael Robert Pick, Richard ‘Huk’ Planas, Frank Trejo, Tom Kelly, Gil Hibben, and Lee Wedlake.
Mr. Kelley’s rank advancements:
- Promoted to 5th Degree in 1995 by 8th Degree Lee Wedlake.
- Promoted to 6th Degree in 1999 by 9th Degree Richard ‘Huk’ Planas, a first generation Parker Black Belt and ten-year Vice President of Ed Parker’s IKKA (the International Kenpo Karate Association).
- Promoted to 5th Degree in 2000 by kickboxing legend Joe Lewis in Joe Lewis’ American Karate Systems.
- Promoted to 7th Degree in 2007 by 10th Degree GM Michael Robert Pick, first generation Parker Black Belt endorsed by 8th Degree Master Rainer Schulte and witnessed by GM Bill “Superfoot” Wallace.
- Promoted t0 8th Degree Associate Master of the Arts in February of 2014 by 10th Degree GM Michael Robert Pick; endorsed by 9th Degree Master Rainer Schulte and 10th Degree GM Chuck Sullivan.
Awards, Citations and Affiliations
- Youngest martial artist included in the 2001 book, THE JOURNEY, the Oral Histories of 24 of the Most proficient American Kenpoists of Today.
- Voted into “who’s Who” of Martial Arts in 1992 by KARATE INTERNATIONAL MAGAZINE.
- Chosen for the Crime Stoppers Award by the Palm Beach Crime Prevention Association.
- Awarded “Citizen of the Month” by the TOWN CRIER NEWSPAPER.
- Member of Bill Wallace’s Superfoot Systems.
- Member of Joe Lewis’ American Karate Systems.
- President of the Chinese Karate Federation and International Instructor.
- Appeared in the 2008 Movie Release “Protecting The King” produced by David E. Stanley CEO of Impello Films as an extra during the Kenpo Fight scenes.
- Received award from the Mayor of Maipu’- Chile 2008 for coming to his City and teaching Ed Parker’s American Kenpo Karate.
- Featured in the Martial Arts Magazine “Inside Kung-Fu” in the July & October issues 2008.
- Appeared on the TV Pilot “Ranking Marcial” in 2008 and 2009.
- Featured in martial arts magazine “Budoka International” in 2007, 2008, and 2009 South American Release.
- Security/Safety specialist.
- Producer of Video/DVD library.
- “Sticky Hands” video with Frank Trejo (10th black).
- Kenpo for Kids video.
- “The Guardian” training defensive tactics video.
- “Infinite Oversights” training DVD Set (a 6 DVD series).
The Guardian Angels
The Guardian Angel Motto “Dare to Care” embodies Mr. Kelley’s concern for the community. A long-time friend of Guardian Angel founder Curtis Sliwa, Mr. Kelley has been the South Florida Coordinator of the Guardian Angels for over sixteen years, and actively patrols the streets to deter crime and gang activity.
The Urban Angel Program is a satellite program of the Guardian Angels, taught by Sean Kelley and sponsored by the YMCA of the Palm Beaches. This outreach program effectively uses martial arts training to develop physical and mental strength in troubled youth, allowing them to build self-esteem, confidence and character.
For more information about Sean Kelley’s VIP Training Systems, please visit: www.seankelley.com